Awabakal Reserve and new Belmont-Redhead State Park

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What type of photos to take at Redhead Outing?

Awabakal Reserve and cliff side
13%
Sand dunes and wetlands
No votes
Doesn't matter just like taking photos :)
88%

Total votes : 8

Awabakal Reserve and new Belmont-Redhead State Park

Postby radar on Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:29 pm

Hi,

EDIT: This meet to happen on Saturday 19th November

just thought I would propose a Newcastle outing.

Here in Redhead, we have the Awabakal reserve on one side and the recently announced Belmont-Redhead state park. I know that at least Pippin has been in the Awabakal - Redhead

The Awabakal reserve sits on top of the cliffs between Redhead and Dudley, lots of scenic shots, macros. We can walk at the base of the cliffs for great ocean/cliff shots on the way to Dudley and in the reserve on top for the way back for flowers, birds, scenery.

I was also doing some walking in the new state park that sits between Redhead and Belmont. This is sand dunes, wetlands, forests. Lots of rare plants, 133 species of birds, etc, etc. Great spots, I'll post some pics later this week.

Also, you can't forget that great sunrise/sunset that one can get at Redhead :)

Could use my place as the base pre/post excursion. Time frame that I'm thinking of is October or November, before it gets too hot. Note there will be walking involved 8)

For anyone interested in coming from OOT, there is plenty of accomodation close by, from budget to 4*

If interested, just post on this thread and we can start getting things organised, i.e. date, location, time of day

Thanks,

Radar
(aka André)[/b]
Last edited by radar on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby stubbsy on Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:53 pm

André

Sounds good to me. Don't care when or what I'll be there since I've been thinking about going for a while having seen stuff from you, Nick & (I think) Ben from there.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby pippin88 on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:04 pm

It's a good spot.

I've been going into it from the Redhead end - is there a good spot to go in from the Dudley end, as the terrain etc is a bit different.

Also, a bit more description about the new state park would be great (mainly how to get there. Do you go from Redhead or Belmont?
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby Ben on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:35 pm

Im pretty keen to come along. If nothing else its a nice part of the world. Keep us informed.

Ben
Ben

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:41 pm

Me too! I'll tag along at one of the week end and surely no mini meet in Sydney.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby sheepie on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:44 pm

i'm probably in depending on timing :)

October is good, although not the first two weekends for me - don't get the holiday weekend, and the following one we'll be going to get Luke from his holidays :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Paul on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:45 pm

Sounds great! Myself and Rachel would love to see a different part of the world and it gets us out of Sydney for the weekend.
Ideally November would be nice, all depends on the majority vote. :D
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:47 pm

sheepie wrote:i'm probably in depending on timing :)

October is good, although not the first two weekends for me - don't get the holiday weekend, and the following one we'll be going to get Luke from his holidays :)

Sept. ? October is too far away? and October long w/e is no good for you?
You have something on at October long w/e already?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:29 pm

Paul wrote:Sounds great! Myself and Rachel would love to see a different part of the world and it gets us out of Sydney for the weekend.
Ideally November would be nice, all depends on the majority vote. :D

Paul

You do know there's also a meet up this way next weekend - sand dunes & sunset shots. See some pics from the last visit here and here
Peter
stubbsy

Postby sheepie on Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:39 pm

Birddog114 wrote:You have something on at October long w/e already?

Yeah - it's called work! It ain't a holiday in Melbourne, and it's them that set the monthend timetable I'm afraid!

September is already starting to fill up, but if it's the first or second weekends of Sept I'm free.
sheepie
Key Member

Postby radar on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:50 pm

pippin88 wrote:I've been going into it from the Redhead end - is there a good spot to go in from the Dudley end, as the terrain etc is a bit different.

Just walk from Redhead, only a couple of km's :lol: ;)

Okay, just continue on Dudley Rd instead of turning to Redhead, past the pubs, you can always stop on the way back ;-) This is now called Ocean St, just keep going to the end, then it changes to gravel road, go to the end of that. I think there is a parking lot at the end, then just follow the path, heading to the coast towards Redhead. There used to be a sign pointing you to a lookout, very nice spot for looking back at Newcastle, sunrises, whales, sea eagles....

pippin88 wrote:Also, a bit more description about the new state park would be great (mainly how to get there. Do you go from Redhead or Belmont?

It was in the Newcastle Herald of Sat 13 Aug. That is probably a good general map, if you can find the newspaper at the library. Basically, it starts behind the Redhead Caravan park along Kalaroo Rd. A good access point is from the northern end of Cain St where a foot path takes you to the back of the caravan park, then turn right after the bridge, aprox. 50m. Follow various tracks to take you to one of the major wetlands. This is where I went this weekend. You can also access the area from the Belmont end, at the end of Kalaroo Rd, before it turns into RAilway Cr. Or from the Belmont Lagoon, along the disused railway, eventually will be Fernleigh track. (BTW, lagoon is also a good place for birdlife)

sheepie wrote:September is already starting to fill up, but if it's the first or second weekends of Sept I'm free.

sorry, I'm booked for September, pretty much.

I would suggest 15th or 22nd or 29th of October, so people can pencil a date in. Let me know if you prefer one of those dates.

I managed to get the press release from the local State MP, if anybody would want to read a bit more about the state park, PM me your email and I'll forward it on.

A few bits from the release:
Flora and fauna listed under the Threatened Species Conservation Act have been recorded, or are likely to occur, in the catchment of these wetlands. These include the endangered Sydney Coastal Estuary Swamp Forest; Tetratheca juncea (a vulnerable small shrub, largely restricted to the Lake Macquarie district). Also the small paper-bark Melaleuca biconvexa and Charrmhaven apple, (Angophora inopina). Regionally rare plants such as the submerged aquatic plant Zanichellia palustris, Australian gipsywort (Lycopus australis) and Swamp Mahogany (Eucalyptus robusta) are known to be present at the site.

The wetlands support a number of waterbirds and migratory waders that are listed under international agreements. The area is also home to a range of threatened wildlife including two owls, a number of bats, the squirrel glider, several species of frogs and more than 30 rare butterflies.

By October, I'll have some more detailed maps of the area and I'll talk to one of the person, from the local Redhead community, that was instrumental in getting it made a state park, as she has covered a big portion of it and she would have some good suggestions.

Sorry about the long post, hope it "wets" people appetite to come and visit ;-)

Cheers,

Radar,
aka André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby sheepie on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:55 pm

radar wrote:I would suggest 15th or 22nd or 29th of October, so people can pencil a date in. Let me know if you prefer one of those dates.

Any one of these works :)

Sounding good - looking forward to it :) (as always!)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby radar on Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:34 am

Okay,

things are shaping up in terms of date. I'll make it Saturday 29th October. Sunrise can be spectacular at Redhead, so if there is any interest from early risers, we can do a sunrise photo shoot. See this thread this thread for a few basic examples. Not sure exactly when sunrise is then. I'll have croissant, cappuccinos, tea afterwards while we wait for the rest to show up.

Probably look at heading out for the photo shoot around 9. The days are getting longer by the end of October, so we don't want to wait too late. BBQ lunch back at my place to close it off.

I'll keep you posted on the details of the location once I do a bit more exploring, but it will be either Awabakal reserve or the new State park which is more sand/forest/wetlands.

So mark your calendar. If anyone want details for accomodation, let me know.

Cheers,

Radar

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby stubbsy on Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:12 am

Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll even have to get out of bed early. Does the sun rise after 7:00? :lol:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby radar on Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:59 am

stubbsy wrote:Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll even have to get out of bed early. Does the sun rise after 7:00? :lol:

You are right it rises after 7:00pm Friday :lol:

Unfortunately, the 29th is the last day of standard time, so sunrise is at 4:57am, as outlined here.

Not sure how many will be that keen!! Anyway, the offer is still there, I'll be up :?

Cheers,

Radar

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby stubbsy on Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:13 pm

radar wrote:
stubbsy wrote:Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll even have to get out of bed early. Does the sun rise after 7:00? :lol:

You are right it rises after 7:00pm Friday :lol:

Unfortunately, the 29th is the last day of standard time, so sunrise is at 4:57am, as outlined here.

Not sure how many will be that keen!! Anyway, the offer is still there, I'll be up :?

Cheers,

Radar

4:57 am OMG :shock: :shock: :shock:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby sheepie on Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:43 pm

I'm in - maybe even get up for the early start! Will have to consult Mrs Sheepie regarding how we come up/whether we stay overnight, etc. - might just be me at that hour! :wink:
sheepie
Key Member

Postby radar on Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:48 pm

sheepie wrote:I'm in - maybe even get up for the early start!

I knew the offer of an espresso coffee would lure you in ;);)

Good to hear you will be coming,

Radar

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:32 pm

I'm in but not for that too early!
Travelling from Belmore or Boat Harbour are still required time to get there, day trip shooting is OK with me.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby radar on Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:18 pm

BUMP :)

Just checking if there is still interest in this. Looking back at the posts on this thread we had:

Stubbsy
Sheepie
Birddog
Paul (tentative at the time but that was a while back)

As a reminder, it is to be on Saturday 29th October. Looking at a 9am start but also planning to do a sunrise on Redhead beach for those that are keen. Note that sunrise is at 4:57AM, so it would be quite an early start.

It's been a while that people had replied to this, so if you are still interested, please reply to this thread and I'll forward my address and contact details via PM.

Cheers,

Radar.

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby sheepie on Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:29 pm

We're in - just waiting until closer to organise somewhere to stay :)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:32 pm

sheepie wrote:We're in - just waiting until closer to organise somewhere to stay :)

Campsite! :wink: or Stubbsy's mansion! :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sheepie on Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:48 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Campsite! :wink: or Stubbsy's mansion! :wink:

Seriously considering camping Birdie - want to join us? ;)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:49 pm

sheepie wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Campsite! :wink: or Stubbsy's mansion! :wink:

Seriously considering camping Birdie - want to join us? ;)

Thanks, I better stay at my DRP :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Paul on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:04 pm

Radar, I'll need to check with the ministry of finance about the 29th.
I have a very bad feeling that we have a wedding on that weekend.. :roll:
If not I'll push for the camping weekend away. 8)
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby radar on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:19 pm

sheepie wrote:Seriously considering camping

If you are really considering camping and not just pulling Birddog's leg :twisted:, there is a number of campgrounds around that you can stay at, Redhead, Belmont would be the two closest.

Could also just camp in the sand dunes :P

Cheers,

Radar.

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby sheepie on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:43 pm

radar wrote:If you are really considering camping and not just pulling Birddog's leg :twisted:, there is a number of campgrounds around that you can stay at, Redhead, Belmont would be the two closest.

Yes, we are serious :)
If there's enough interest, maybe we could get a group camping? Anyone else interested in staying in the same spot?
( ***Waves feverishly to KillaKoala*** )
sheepie
Key Member

Postby radar on Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:20 pm

Hi Sheepie,

Have a look at this site, it has a number of caravan parks with nice camping facilities. The closest is the Belmont Pines, 10 minutes from Redhead. It is right on the lake, lots of nice photo opportunities just at the park :) Also on-site cabins if you would prefer.

http://www.lakemac.com.au/holidayparks/

The Redhead park does not actually have any campsites, just cabins, you can find it here:
http://www.redheadbeach.com.au/

HTH,

Radar

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby radar on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:51 pm

Important changes:

The date has changed for this mini-meet. It is now moved to Saturday 19th November. All other details remain the same. The sunrise will also be later, as we will be in daylight savings :)

So, please re-confirm that you are coming and if you are now able to come, let me know,

Cheers,

radar
(edit: add the month :oops:)
Last edited by radar on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
radar

Postby sheepie on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:16 pm

Still intend to be there :)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby pippin88 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:30 am

radar wrote:Important changes:

The date has changed for this mini-meet. It is now moved to Saturday 19th. All other details remain the same. The sunrise will also be later, as we will be in daylight savings :)

So, please re-confirm that you are coming and if you are now able to come, let me know,

Cheers,

radar

That would be Sat the 19th of November for those that got confused like me.

I plan to be there.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby radar on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:00 am

Fixed the post, sorry about the confusion, nice to see that you will be able to make it pippin, as pippin88 says, it is Saturday 19/Nov/2005

Cheers,

Radar
radar

Postby stubbsy on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:04 pm

I'll be there too, even for the sunrise (but I'll be sleepy). We'll need to get there before sunrise I guess.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby radar on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:19 pm

stubbsy wrote:I'll be there too, even for the sunrise (but I'll be sleepy). We'll need to get there before sunrise I guess.

Sunrise is scheduled for 5:43AM on the 19/11/05, getting there before sunrise would be better :twisted: :twisted:

I'll see what would be an acceptable time, unless experienced sunrise photographers can recommend a "good" time for setup etc...

Cheers,

Radar
radar

Postby sheepie on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:23 pm

radar wrote:I'll see what would be an acceptable time, unless experienced sunrise photographers can recommend a "good" time for setup etc...

I would suggest a good half hour b4 sunrise - plus any time required to get to the spot.
sheepie
Key Member

Postby radar on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:47 pm

sheepie wrote:I would suggest a good half hour b4 sunrise - plus any time required to get to the spot.

the spot is just down the hill from my place. We would likely meet at the surf club, take our photos then head back to my place, for coffee and croissants while we wait for the ones that decided to pass on the sunrise.

View from the beach, hope we can expect something like this, no guarantee :)

Not a great photo, but gives you an idea, hope to get better ones on the morning. Also has a shark tower with rocks that can make for a great sunrise shot.

Cheers,

radar.
radar

Postby sheepie on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:02 pm

I think that shot makes the sunrise meet a MUST - anyone who is anyone should be there! Let's just hope we don't all overcrowd us!
sheepie
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:02 pm

SO do we have a list of those intending to go on 19th November. I think the list si:

- Andre
- Leon
- Birddog
- Nick
- Stubbsy

Yet to confirm, but likely

- Paul

Anyone else?
Peter
stubbsy

Postby radar on Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:26 pm

Hi Peter,

last I heard, Birddog was not going to be here :-(

Ben had initially said he was considering, but haven't heard yes/no.

I've talked to one of the person that was instrumental in getting the state park setup, I'll be doing some exploring of a few areas to see how easy access they are.

Cheers,

Radar
radar

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:40 pm

Sorry, I couldn't make it, as I said to radar.
I have full day shooting at Williamtown RAAF Base on Friday 18/11 for Boeing (New Service HQ) + meeting few colleagues who are coming from the States for that event, perhaps till midnight, and doing care for Schoolie week of my daughter and her friends at Boat Harbour.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:52 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Sorry, I couldn't make it, as I said to radar.
I have full day shooting at Williamtown RAAF Base on Friday 18/11 for Boeing (New Service HQ) + meeting few colleagues who are coming from the States for that event, perhaps till midnight, and doing care for Schoolie week of my daughter and her friends at Boat Harbour.

So I guess you'll be a little busy then :lol: :wink:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Hlop on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:35 pm

Somehow, I've missed this tread :?

Can not tell for sure about 19th of November yet but it sounds interesting. Could you add us (me+2) to the list with huge question mark, please? :)
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:37 pm

Hlop wrote:Somehow, I've missed this tread :?

Can not tell for sure about 19th of November yet but it sounds interesting. Could you add us (me+2) to the list with huge question mark, please? :)

:shock: huh? huh? huh? :lol: :lol:

You have to get there early in the morning to catch up with the gangs or overnight by camping with sheepie!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby radar on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:51 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Sorry, I couldn't make it, as I said to radar.

Sounds like a lot of fun for the Friday and a challenge after that :lol: :lol:

Have a great time. If you go for a ride in the F18, do a fly over Redhead and wave at us 8) 8)

Hlop wrote:Can not tell for sure about 19th of November yet but it sounds interesting. Could you add us (me+2) to the list with huge question mark, please?

Not a problem, earlier in the thread there are a few references to some campgrounds where you can camp or get a cabin. Plus lot of accomodation around Newcastle. FYI, Redhead is close to Charlestown.

Cheers,

radar
radar

Postby Hlop on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:54 pm

Birddog114 wrote: :shock: huh? huh? huh? :lol: :lol:

You have to get there early in the morning to catch up with the gangs or overnight by camping with sheepie!

That's why I asked for huge question mark :) Sure, overnight camping or motel are only options for us
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby radar on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:54 am

Just a reminder,

this photo shoot is still happening on Sat 19th November.

Come for the sunrise, Awabakal Reserve, beach dunes, and we could even squeeze in a Lake Macquarie sunset for those that are interested.

I was also thinking of booking a spot at a local restaurant for Saturday evening, for those that would be hungry ;-).

So far we have:

-yours truly 8)
-Sheepie
-Stubbsy
-Pippin88
-Hlop with a big :?: :?: :?:

If anyone else is interested, just reply to this thread.

See you there,

Radar.
radar

Postby sheepie on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:39 am

Dinner sounds good :)

It's going to be a veeerrrryyyyyy looooonnnnnggggg day!
sheepie
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:54 am

Andre - do you have an idea of an itinerary. I figured we'd be worn out by about 2 pm!
Peter
stubbsy

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:58 am

sheepie wrote:Dinner sounds good :)

It's going to be a veeerrrryyyyyy looooonnnnnggggg day!

It could be fun, provided the weather are good & fine, not so hot as today or wet same as yesterday or day before.

Just only one on the multiple sessions is far good, multi sessions in a long day from 4:00 am - at least 9:00pm after the dinner, everyone will be exhausted.

With my experiences, doing a sunrise shooting and wandering or hang around the Reserve till 11:00 or no later than 12:00pm, or doing shooting in the afternoon and wait for the sunset, then off to dinner and retire after that, for more than 12 hours, I don't think it's an ideal.

If the weather is hot as today then you're all baked after 12 hours.
Or the weather turns into rain or shower then you're all soaked, it's also good, coz you don't need to have a shower when you're back to Sydney with water restriction in force :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby radar on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:10 pm

Hi Peter,

stubbsy wrote:do you have an idea of an itinerary. I figured we'd be worn out by about 2 pm!

the morning would look like this:

-early risers can catch a beautiful sunrise at Redhead Beach. The sunrise has been ordered :wink: . Sunrise is at 5:43am, plan to be there about 5:15am to give us enough time to setup.

-following sunrise, tea/coffee/croissants at my place

-walk down the side of the cliff along fisherman's path for some cliff face and rock shelf photos.

-get back up to do photos in Awabakal reserve. We can do this as long/short as people want.

-back to my place for lunch and a well deserved beer(s)

-rest of the day is for relaxing and catch up on some ZZZZZ for those that need it.

-optional: meet around Lake Macquarie for a sunset photo session

-optional: meet for dinner (can be close to where we do the sunset), restaurants can be Milano's on the Lake, Sesame's at Belmont, Belmont Yatch Club.

Hope that suits :) :)

Cheers,

radar
radar

Next

Return to Sydney