Shooting Blind

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Shooting Blind

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:00 pm

This is probably the last day I had for borrowing Wendell's 52mm Hoya R72 IR filter... and now I'll probably have to buy my own... but seeing as it was such a beautiful day, I grabbed the camera and snapped a hundred or so shots with the filter on... which is something you usually don't do with IR.

Anyone who knows about the IR filters knows how thick they are... and they are ridiculously hard, almost impossible, to see through... unless of course you're looking directly at a light source through them.

Me on the bus while I was taking some of these pictures. I was hoping this shot would show how dark the filter glass is, but alas...

But bugger it, I thought. I'm an impatient sod, especially if I'm shooting from a bus so... the filter stayed on.

And the camera autofocused some of the time, other times (most of the time) I had to do it manually.

Here's what came out of it:

Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:00 pm

But wait... there's more!

Comments... critiques... evil grins? :)
Nnnnsic

Postby Sheetshooter on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:13 pm

Leigh,

I am a crazy fan of optional focus and so I really like the middle three shots in the second batch. Most particularly the broad in the tit-fa on the bus. (Is it in fact a dame?) Her, her blank presence, the fuzz of the mobile cocoon - it is all just so very indicative of the numbing blank-out of commuting on public transport.

Hey, and the dog walking over for a closer look - what about him? It's like he knows it isn't focussed and he is wandering over to check the lens setting.

More of these please.

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby wendellt on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:20 pm

Yo bud

Excellent!
I like the tonal balance and contrast of the first and second ones

I think someone should engineer a hack device that acts as a second viewfinder

You can keep the IR filter for another 3 weeks, I don't get my camera back for another 20+ days
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:22 pm

Woohoo!

I mean.. bad... terrible.. but yet... woohoo.. wait.. you know what I mean...
Nnnnsic

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:41 pm

Leigh - it’s great to see you putting your camera to use with some very good results. Not sure about the first pic tho’ :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:19 am

There's some great images there, and I especially agree with SheetShooter's comments abouit the first of the dog shots.

But I also especially like the second of those too. Surely it's depicting a decisive moment for a dog?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:24 am

Sheetshooter wrote:...I am a crazy fan of optional focus ....

Fantastic - "optional focus" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment of the weekend. Gold.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Sheetshooter on Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:51 pm

Greg,

I don't know if there is a more widely accepted name for it, but OPTIONAL FOCUS is what I refer to it as.

It is nothing all that new. Absence of a point of sharp focus (as opposed to narrow depth-of-field DIFFERENTIAL FOCUS) has been played with by many, including myself, for years and some of the most enchanting examples I have seen are in a sequence produced by an old favourite of mine from the mid-20th Century: the largely unsung hero Ralph Eugene Meatyard.

It stands to reason that when it was found that one could record the 'perfect description of the lens' (to use an aproximation of Ansel Adams's term) in a clearly delineated form that many clamoured for the ability and so was born the Modernist experience of 'objectivity' as pursued by the likes of Group f64.

That is a genre which is not without appeal and is still widely practiced. But, on the other hand, there are those whose goals are not so much centred on the 'reproduction' of a motif as with the 'interpretation' of that motif. As in the case of the bus passenger and the dog shots to which I alluded we are well able to get the message loud and clear without the distraction of sharp focus drawing our attention to a particular aspect of the scene.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Greg B on Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:18 pm

Sheetster, there could not be a better name for it. I love it.

Thanks also for the explanation. I didn't doubt that the concept was a valid one, or that it would be a serious and interesting approach to certain situations where the overall look and feel conveyed more emotion that the detail.

However, it just made me think of that moment when the guitar is not quite in tune, and the cry goes up - close enough for jazz.

I look forward to the day when someone suggests that one of my shots is not sharp - my response may be ill informed and/or inappropriate, but it will be that I have employed optional focus, and the viewer needs to get with the programme.

:D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby wendellt on Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:27 pm

"These pictures invite us to live on the verge of surprise, where fear accompanies delight."

- Wendell Berry excerp from Unforeseen Wilderness, commenting on the work of Ralph Eugene Meatyard.
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Glen on Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:37 pm

Wendell And Sheetshooter, are you guys sure you didn't make that name up, Ralph Meatyard?

I think I will use that name next time I get questioned by the photo nazis.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:51 pm

We learned about him in Uni. :)

Whilst I'm not being compared to him (I'd be shot to the ground... lol), I like how I'm being mentioned in the same thread as him. :)
Nnnnsic

Postby Glen on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:08 pm

Leigh, just got the link from Wendell, I would be very pleased to be mentioned in the same thread as him :wink:
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby MCWB on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:23 pm

Glen wrote:Wendell And Sheetshooter, are you guys sure you didn't make that name up, Ralph Meatyard?

I think I will use that name next time I get questioned by the photo nazis.
 ROFL! :lol: I bags Cecil Abbatoir! 8)

These are awesome Leigh, great stuff!! I just checked how much these filters cost though... ouch! :(
MCWB

Postby Glen on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:32 pm

Look forward to seeing you at the AA, Mr Abbatoir

Regards

Mr Meatyard
Thank You
Glen

Postby MCWB on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:34 pm

And you too Mr Meatyard. I shall be sure to bring my other half, Miss Mavis Slaughterhouse. :)
MCWB

Postby Glen on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:55 pm

:lol: :lol:
Thank You
Glen

Postby ozimax on Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:17 pm

Sheetshooter wrote:Greg,

I don't know if there is a more widely accepted name for it, but OPTIONAL FOCUS is what I refer to it as.

It is nothing all that new. Absence of a point of sharp focus (as opposed to narrow depth-of-field DIFFERENTIAL FOCUS) has been played with by many, including myself, for years and some of the most enchanting examples I have seen are in a sequence produced by an old favourite of mine from the mid-20th Century: the largely unsung hero Ralph Eugene Meatyard.

It stands to reason that when it was found that one could record the 'perfect description of the lens' (to use an aproximation of Ansel Adams's term) in a clearly delineated form that many clamoured for the ability and so was born the Modernist experience of 'objectivity' as pursued by the likes of Group f64.

That is a genre which is not without appeal and is still widely practiced. But, on the other hand, there are those whose goals are not so much centred on the 'reproduction' of a motif as with the 'interpretation' of that motif. As in the case of the bus passenger and the dog shots to which I alluded we are well able to get the message loud and clear without the distraction of sharp focus drawing our attention to a particular aspect of the scene.

Cheers,

"Ahh, actually I prefer Ludo meself....and quinces"
(Greenbottle speaking to Dr Pim, 1933, Adelaide)

Seriously, the dog photos are cool, I like the bus shot, the first photo is good but boy oh boy the subject is ugly 8)

Max
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:28 pm

ozimax wrote:the first photo is good but boy oh boy the subject is ugly 8)

The first photo was taken on the Sony Ericsson K750i :)

And I agree. 8)
Nnnnsic

Postby Slider on Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:16 am

Some great shots there. Looks like there is something else I'll have to experiment with.
Cheers
Mark :) http://www.photographicaustralia.com
http://www.trekaboutphotography.com

He who dies with the most lenses wins...
Slider

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques