Night Photography

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Night Photography

Postby W00DY on Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:27 pm

Found this page while browsing:

http://www.photosig.com/articles/671/page1

Your thoughts on the tips outlined in this article. Even if you don't get much out of it the images on the page are nice.

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby christiand on Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:33 pm

Thank you for the link,

this will come in handy on our Canberran meet with evening shots.

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby Hybrid on Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:24 pm

Thanks for the link W00DY - I have been waiting for the return of the photoSIG articles... I remember reading that one quite some time ago before the magical D70 was born and I was happily using my coolpix 990... It was ok for short exposures but going above about 2 or 4 seconds usually meant hot pixels galore. I've been very impressed with the D70's long exposure capabilities (even though I've only really done 30s exposures at most because I don't have a remote).

The article has some interesting points. The starburst effect caused by a narrow aperture is an interesting one to note... I've done that for day time shots that include the sun and you can get some cool effects.

The use of filters at night is also an interesting one. I'm still undecided about filters and filter systems... Anyone got any thoughts on that? Is there any reason not to go for something like Cokin where there is a whole system that you can use on all lenses rather than buying for each lens?

On the topic of filters, I saw this recently... interesting read: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/colum ... b-05.shtml

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Return to Tips and tricks